Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,330Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not clear-cut
In reply to Darrell Spreen, Apr 4, 2013

Darrell Spreen wrote:

David Hull wrote:

It is this "entitlement mentality" that I find a bit astonishing. They are "greedy bastards" because they are in business to make money,

Technically, they are not in business to make money (business 101).  They are in business to make a product or provide a service, in exchange for which they receive money and hopefully make a profit.  You are correct that their product has value and Adobe has been very profitable.  What is less clear is that the various business models of SW vendors are unassailable, which you suggest.  That's why there have been court cases.  It remains to be seen how Adobe's move to the cloud and to a subscription model works out.  It appears to be very controversial.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Most public companies are in business to make money as far as I know. My whole point in all of this is that the traditional model appears to be failing in that they are not able to keep increasing features or whatever it takes to stimulate upgrades, so what do they do? If you were the Adobe Photoshop PLM what would your answer be? How do you continue to generate a revenue stream off of a product that most people feel seem to feel is complete? Most tool vendors have moved to a licensed maintenance model – just about every tool I use (save for Photography tools) handled that way – it seems to work.

It seems to me that a tool vendor is free to pick any licensing policy they want, and the customers are also free to vote with their feet. In principle my only comment on this is that their price seems a bit high (at least from the perspective of their traditional upgrade prices). In terms of what other tool vendors charge for their stuff, it is a steal.  As I said, I have been working this way with tool vendors for years, this is nothing new.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GimpNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow