Am I asking too much?

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I asking too much?
In reply to rondeann, Apr 4, 2013

rondeann wrote:

I hate to change lens but I may have to start.  I use zoom lens almost exclusively but the only lens I have that doesn't require a wide range of AF fine adjustment is the Sigma 100-300/f4.  Of course that means the focus on any shot is a crap shot.

What is your experience with AF fine adjustment on your zoom lens.  Which one of your lens has a reasonable range of AF fine adjustment and what is that range?

My sympathies, and I can only go from my own experiences with the K5.

Every lens I have, produced perfect focus, until the day I bought a 31 Ltd. Despite adding + 10 fine adjustment, it was still way OOF. I contacted the seller, as the lens had a 2 year warranty here in France, and they said contact Pentax France. They in turn, said that I had to return all my lenses and the K5 to them and they would have to re-calibrate all the lenses ...  To me that seemed quite crazy, as it was only the 31 that I was having problems with. So I tried the same lens on a friend's K5, and it was fine - about 2 steps of adjustment needed.

In the end, I really didn't want to have all the bother, and so sold the 31Ltd, and later the K5. In its place I bought a K-01 and K30, and both these bodies perform absolutely perfectly!

Since then I no longer have any focus problems.  Is this a K5 thing that varies from body to body, or is a batch problem? If so, I would be strongly tempted to sell your K5 and get a K30, while waiting perhaps for the K5II or K5IIs. Life is too short .... and the K30 is the bargain of a lifetime ...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-01 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow