ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rwz628
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
First Time Camera Buyer - Help Decide on NEX Model
Apr 4, 2013

Hello forum,

I am brand new to photography (literally no experience other than basic shooting w/ P&S and cell phone). I want to learn, but obviously I need a camera first. I've been reading a lot about the NEX models and they sound perfect for what I want (high quality in a small frame).

Having said that, I am currently debating between the NEX-3N and NEX-5R. Originally the latter was out of the running simply due to cost, but I saw that 42photo has it for only $50 more than the 3N with the 18-55 lens. I would really prefer the smaller 16-50 lens mainly due to size/weight. I love the idea of a super small camera that can help me learn while also shooting great photos.

So I guess my question is what would you all recommend? I know the 5R is better (pay more to get more etc.), but would it really be beneficial to someone like me who is just starting out? And if the 5R is recommended, is that size terrible? That 18-55 lens seems really big...

Thanks for any advice!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow