Mesa Verde-drive by- quick shot advice?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,306
Like?
Re: Mesa Verde-drive by- quick shot advice?
In reply to BobT, Apr 4, 2013

Yes it takes almost an hour, don't stop, nothing there. Most has suffered repeated burns, not pretty.

On the park map look at the parking area at the right edge of Sun Temple. Look to the right of that  and you'll see the cliff palace clearly marked and a wiggle of a creek in between. that is the gorge you'll be shooting over. Don't expect to see the water your your position, it's too far down. This thing is more of a regular mountain than a mesa. You can walk to find a spot or move the car to find better but it's a very short bending stretch of unmissable open area oneway roadside where you can spot various ruins across the gorge. Some will face due west with others slightly north south But you have clear shots at the face. Think long lens though.

There are ruins everywhere. My favorite is Hovenweep, which we did on way to Arches from monument valley. Again, good light is best. It's a national monument so well maintained, easy trail around rim and you see whole thing.  If I could have added one it would have been House On Fire near Blanding but we didn't learn of it till last day. Local guide said be at site at 10 am, best in spring months, for the optical illusion - works like yosemites horsetail fall in february.. Also Cedar Mesa in same area was suggested by another local, looked easier to find, maybe a state park. But no fire.

I'm sure there's many more..

Dont know anything about ruins around south rim of GC.

ps if you go to Canyonlands don't miss sunrise at Mesa arch, it is has good as it gets.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow