Are there any "rules" for using ISO?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Virginia Bill
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?
Re: Are there any "rules" for using ISO?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Apr 4, 2013

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

Manual mode doesn't always work for me when there isn't a lot of time to focus because I don't see the sharpness well enough.  But using Aperture-priority or Shutter-priority with AF ought to work OK if I get the other parameters right!

Manual mode shouldn't affect autofocus. Setting your mode dial to M turns off the camera's processes of setting exposure variables (shutter, aperture, ISO), but (if I remember my Nikon days accurately) shouldn't turn off autofocus (to do that you usually flip a switch on the lens). So in manual exposure mode set shutter, aperture, and ISO as wisdom and experience (or a meter reading) indicate, point the lens at where you expect the animal to appear, and then press the shutter halfway down. The lens should focus at the chosen distance.

But you seem to have grasped the triangle of shutter, aperture, and ISO. That's a big step forward. Happy shooting.

Virginia Bill's gear list:Virginia Bill's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow