Hand-holding the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II near 300mm

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?
Re: Hand-holding the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II near 300mm
In reply to FrankParis, Apr 4, 2013

FrankParis wrote:

I have far greater success simply putting the E-M5/75-300mm on a carbon fiber Gitzo series 0 tripod (using an RRS BH-40 ball head).

I much prefer to use a tripod when shooting with long focal lengths, but I've given up with this lens.  Because there is no tripod ring mount and there is some play in the lens, I get soft or OOF images when there is the slightest bit of breeze - and I live where it is generally always windy.

Also, when shooting birds or other moving wildlife, I like to use a tripod but without locking the lens down so I can pan or move as the animal moves.  Even though the lens isn't held still, the tripod gives me enough support to make a big difference compared to handholding.  But this technique does not work with this lens and my EM5.  I can't figure out why, but I've tried a number of times and gotten just about 100% OOF or blurry images (IS off and high shutter speed). If I shoot the same subjects handheld with this camera and lens and pan or move around as usual, my keeper rate goes back to normal.  So I don't know what I'm doing wrong or why, but I can't seem to use a tripod with EM5 and this lens.

So, after about 6 months of trying to force my old habits (tripod) onto new lens and camera, I gave up and just realized this is a lens that was designed for handholding.  I firmly believe that a tripod gives better results when shooting long focal lengths (especially if printing), but in this case, it just doesn't work for me.  I'm guessing the 'pro' version that will eventually come out will have a tripod mount, just hope it isn't so expensive I can't ever afford it.

BTW, it took practice before I could handhold this lens, partly because I was used to being a tripod shooter and partly because the camera and lens are both so small and lightweight.  But practice does make it much easier to do.

Roberto M.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow