Hand-holding the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II near 300mm

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,521Gear list
Like?
What to expect with 300mm.
In reply to FrankParis, Apr 4, 2013

The old rule about shutter speeds and hand-holding would have this effect....

"Normal" person, no stabilisation, a 300mm lens on M4/3 would need 1/600 sec minimum shutter speed. That's hand-held, standing, no wind buffeting.

The lesser Pen IBIS or Panasonic OIS on Pen E-PL5 (for me, extrapolated from my use of 150mm) reliably moves that to 10 times slower at 1/60 second. That's about 3 stops.

If the E-M5 IBIS manages 4 stops then that could be 1/30 second for 300mm.

If the E-M5 IBIS manages to get to the "claimed" possible 5 stops then that's 1/15 second at 300mm.

Some people can do better, some do worse, but this little 71 yr old Guy manages to reliably fit the normal pattern. Lean against a wall or tree and usually gain 2 or 3 stops without stabilisation, that's what I did in film days.

But if you have the shakes from too many cigarettes and too much coffee, then the old rule goes out the window. In fact, everyone needs to take bunches of shots at all speeds and a selection of focal lengths without stabilisation to see what their personal limits are. My recommendation is to take 10 shots at each speed when testing, no burst, just 10 single shots and pixel peep later to check the amount of blur.

In doing that test for myself on my earlier E-PL1 I found that the IBIS was adding a tiny bit of blur to shots at safe speeds, it works better to leave Pen IBIS off as much as possible. The E-M5 IBIS is evidently better and does not seem to interfere at safe shutter speeds but I've never had a chance to test one of them.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow