How good is the Panasonic GF5?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,356Gear list
Like?
You know, this GF-5 really caught me off guard....
In reply to Ecorone, Apr 4, 2013

To begin with, I'm one of those lucky few who managed to get the GF-5 with 14-42 X lens for only $315 new.  Yes, the vendor only had 5 on hand and I saw the sale when it went up on 4/3 rumors.com.  So I picked one up several months ago.

Assuming that the GF5 would be just a tad better than a small enthusiast model, I was not prepared for the wonderful performance this little camera has given me so far.

AF speed is exceptionally fast, and the high ISO images that I managed to get were superb.  On my first outing with the GF5 and X lens, I shot an indoor big-band concert.  Because the auditorium was pitch dark (except for some very pale, overly orange-gish lighting on the stage area, I had to shoot at ISO 3200.  I shot in RAW, figuring that what I got with the GF5 would be horrible because of the WB - but I was wrong - and pleasantly so.

Yes, I highly recommend the GF-5.  Of course, I got it at a bargain with the X lens as mentioned above, but even if you pay below $400, pick one up - you won't go wrong.

Here are some ISO 3200 images shot of that indoor concert.  As mentioned, the lighting conditions were absolutely horrible - and even with IS engaged, the shutter speeds ranged from 1/4 to 1/11 of a second - yet the images were perfectly salvageable.  Yes, at that ISO level, there was a tad little bit of noise - but it was easily removed in Lightroom.  Now granted, if the shutter speeds were a bit higher, I have no doubt the images would be much sharper - but overall, I was not disappointed with the outcome here.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P330 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow