Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717Gear list
Like?
Re: Totally unrealistic expectations
In reply to Marty4650, Apr 4, 2013

Marty4650 wrote:

Najinsky wrote:

Canon EF 70-200/4L USM - $700 - Check out it's optical performance. It's superb.

Canon EF 70-200/4L IS USM - $1,100 - Even better.

The Panasonic 35-100 is $1,500. It should be a bit better than it is. Nothing to do with being a perfectionist, just comparing it to the standards set by it competitors and one of my most used lenses. And certainly not ridiculous to expect excellent performance all round from a lens of this price.

If it were $900, I'd forgive the reduced (though still good) F/2.8 performance. But at $1,500 I'm less forgiving.

I get your point, but you are missing one important fact.

It is physically impossible for a M4/3 lens to be "as good" as full frame lens at the same or similar price. Because the sensor is 1/4th as large, you would need a much faster M4/3 lens, and then it will become much more expensive and much larger. And then you will be upset about that.

You seem to be unhappy about the cost of the Panasonic 35-100mm lens, and say "if it was cheaper" but you are asking for a more expensive lens design. This just won't happen in our lifetimes.

Do you recall how LARGE and HEAVY the 4/3 35-100mm lens is?

The Olympus 35-100mm lens costs almost twice as much and weighs three times as much. But it is a much better lens. Is this what you want?

When you selected a M4/3 system you made a compromise that everyone else who selected that system made.  You chose reasonably good performance with a smaller size and weight at a reasonable cost rather than the absolute best performance with no regard for price or weight.

If you really need the absolute best lens then the best solution for you is to stick with full frame.

If you can tolerate almost as good, then M4/3 might be for you.

In fact not even FF will deliver the absolute best solution. For that you must spend upwards of $50,000 on things such as Leica S2, Hasselblad, Phase One etc

Really, for the convenience, size, weight and IQ as a package the two Lumix f2.8 lenses are very good value. My Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRII weighs as much as the whole GH3/lens combo and cost $3500.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow