Started Apr 4, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
devenh
Contributing MemberPosts: 873
Like?
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge S230u Twist Ultrabook
Apr 4, 2013

I've been looking for an Ultrabook that met my needs for almost a year and I finally found what I've been looking for with the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge S230u Twist.

I do a lot of sports photography and often process 1,000 photos per day.  I need a fast, portable system that can handle Photoshop CS6 and Nikon Capture NX2.  I also use Photomechanic, but that is not nearly as demanding as the other too apps.

I often hook my system up to a high quality monitor.  As a result a great screen on the Ultrabook was not a high priority for me, but a full or mini HDMI connection was essential.  I feel micro HDMI plugs are just too small and fragile and ruled out any system with one of these.

I also strongly prefer a full sized RJ-45 jack and must have 1 gb ethernet as wireless is WAY TOO SLOW when moving photos from the Ultrabook to my desktop.

So, what does the Twist offer (there are other configurations, this is what I ordered)?

i7 3537U 3.1ghz with 8gb SDRAM - so plenty of horsepower and memory

HD 4000 graphics - fine for photo editing

12.5" 1366 x 768 Gorilla Glass display - looks just like an iPad, touch screen.  As the name implies, it can be twisted and folded into a tablet shape.  I was looking for a higher res display, but this seems fine.  Again, I often hook up to a monitor, so not an issue.

500gb 7200rpm drive with 24gb SSD - I prefer SSD's, but the largest offered is 128gb, so I went with this configuration as I need the space.  I'm very happy with it.

Windows 8 Pro 64 - I like the OS enough that after getting over the initial learning curve and installing Classic Shell I converted my desktops over to Windows 8.  I don't use the touch screen much, but once in a while it is handy (bad pun).

Connections: full sized RJ-45 (1GB), mini HDMI, mini display port (have not used), and two USB 3.0 ports.  Of course it has Bluetooth and wireless.

Keyboard: the keyboard is very good for an Ultrabook, better than any other I have tried in this class.

Price: $1,079:  bought mine in January.  Given the features, seems like a very good value.

Here are some photos of the Twist hooked up to an Eizo ColorEdge CE10W monitor.  I place the Twist on a tabletop easel in tablet mode.  The easel raises the system up so it is side by side to the Eizo.  This setup requires the use of a separate keyboard and should not imply that I don't like the Twist's keyboard.  However, the keyboard does have a dedicated numeric keypad which I use extensively.

What would I change?  Full sized HDMI port because I think these are more robust.  One more USB 3.0 port would be very nice (I haven't found a good USB 3.0 hub).

So, if you are in the market for an Ultrabook, the Twist deserves a look.

Deven

I am not affiliated with Lenovo in any way!

devenh's score
Nikon Coolpix S230 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow