Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038Gear list
Like?
Hand-holding the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II near 300mm
Apr 4, 2013

Posters have been telling me they can do this successfully because of the superiority of the E-M5 IBIS. So I've been experimenting with my 71 year old shaky hands to see what it takes. These images are my second attempt. All I did was walk out on my back deck, set the lens near 300mm and the ISO to 1000 (because it was overcast). I took 13 images, of which 6 did not show motion blur looking at the images 1:1. I used Photo Ninja to reduce noise, then Photoshop Elements 10 to batch process the full size images, using the sharpening function, which seems to do a gentle job, but it doesn't allow any controls over the parameters.

All these are of flowers I could get at from my backyard deck. The comellias were across our fence and bordering the fence. One of the problems I have with hand-holding this extreme focal length is cropping my subject properly and for a couple of the comellias I had to crop about half of the area out, maybe 2/3.

As a general practice, I'm afraid this is not for me. It just doesn't provide me with enough control. I have far greater success simply putting the E-M5/75-300mm on a carbon fiber Gitzo series 0 tripod (using an RRS BH-40 ball head). I like the control this gives me over careful framing. My hats off to those who don't need such crutches when using this camera. Ah, to be young again.

Let me repeat again that I am absolutely in love with the handling of this lens. And I don't find using the tripod the least bit of a burden.

A white hyacinth. I could lean my arms on the deck railing for this one.

Flowering tree from across the back fence.

Flowering tree from across the back fence.

Skylight was shining brightly on this one comellia so everything else is under expose. Weird lighting.

More even lighting on these commelias. The one in the lower middle is awesome.

This is the view of these comellias with no cropping, to give you an idea of what I did for the previous crops

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow