Best desktop computer for photography work.

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Dionis
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Bought Pre-built Computer to Upgrade
In reply to theJuke2, Apr 4, 2013

I was undertaking the same task a few months ago. The main difference for me was that I was looking to build a system to be optimal for both processing video as well as stills. In my case I needed the ability to process 1080p 60fps @50mbps video.

I ended up buying a pre built HP with a i7 quad core 3.5ghz in order to swap out most of the main components. I added a San Disk 240 gb SSD to be the boot drive. I had Win 8 removed and Win 7 Pro installed. This insured no bloatware whatsoever. I installed a NVidia Quadro 2000, 32 gb of Corsair RAM and an LG Blu Ray Writer. Doing it this way cost much less than customizing at HP or especially a place like Puget. I got the Dell 2713H Monitor which I think is excellent (Pre Calibrated).

I run Lightroom 4, Premiere Pro CS6 and this system works very well for these applications.

For typical photo processing the above components with half the RAM and a lesser GPU would do well.

DNY

Dionis's gear list:Dionis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow