It's time to abandon PhotoShop

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zaphodz
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Re: Pixelmater
In reply to afterburn, Apr 4, 2013

I have used Pixelmator quite a bit in the quest for a PS alternative and find it to be pretty good overall and it can be integrated into an Aperture workflow, but there are a few caveats.
Firstly there was seemingly an bad bug that caused all sorts of problems including serious crashes that turned out to be an issue with certain NVidia card drivers, this was resolved in OSX 10.8.3 so you need to have at least this version of OSX if you have the affected card driver (you can find out which ones on the Pixelmator site blog).
Secondly, there are some things the current version of Pixelmator (2.1.4 Cherry) doesn't do but will be added in upcoming releases, the most significant being Layer Styles coming in V3 some time this year. Hopefully this will also allow making a selection from a path, which is essential for my workflow. It will be interesting to see if it will be possible to do Frequency Separation with the new release, that would be the clincher for me.
There is an interim version 2.2 due out any time now which will include the ability to fill a vector shape with a gradient fill, useful for creating certain types of mask, and a set of retro effects filters called "Light Leak" which have an Instagram/Hipstamatic feel to them.
Overall, in use Pixelmator is a pleasure to use once you get used to it, and that's the key, don't reject it after half an hour of playing with it, if you take the time to find out how it works you will find that it is quite capable, not yet a PS killer but worthy of serious consideration and hopefully a true PS alternative in the months to come.
The £10.49/$15 price is an offer price and could end when the new version is released, so I'd get it now as X.X upgrades are free.
Hope this is of interest to some.
Cheers - Zaphodz.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow