Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,508
Like?
You're being ridiculously perfectionist
In reply to Najinsky, Apr 4, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

I have the 35-100/2.8 but am waiting for the Olympus announcement before deciding whether to go for the 12-35/2.8.

When paying for expensive fast zooms, I expect performance to be excellent wide open, and improve a little for stopping down. Both the Panasonics have issues here.

The 12-35 has reviewed a bit weak at F/2.8 (see lenstip review  measurements)

The 35-100 measured bit weak at 100/F2.8 (see lensrentls measurements)

The scores are by no means Bad, and by F/4 both are performing very well, so they are both excellent lenses. But for premium glass, I feel they should be performing a bit better wide open, and therefore are both a bit overpriced.

My 70-200/F4L was one of my favourite FF lenses, so I bit the bullet and went for the 35-100/2.8. It's no match for the Canon, but still a very nice lens and I'm very happy I have it.

-Najinsky

zenpmd wrote:

Buying them together is just such a lot of money. But imaging the possiblities of the two together is just mind blowing for the size and quality.

What is everyone elses thoughts, and who is waiting for Olympus are about to offer? As far as I know there is no plan for a zoom like the 35-100 2.8, just the shorter zoom, which is sadly not as wide as the Panasonic but might be smaller (due to the lack of IS) and hopefully won't have the CA that it suffers from on the Oly.

Yours thoughts most welcome!

The lens is sharp enough wide open so that what you focus on will appear very sharp indeed in a print in a wedding album.
It's a really good performance for a zoom lens. It's worth the price if you NEED that kind of lens for wedding photography or something similar.
No, you don't need a lens like that to go hiking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow