Unexpected lens purchase...

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,682Gear list
Like?
It's here...
In reply to Andy Hewitt, Apr 4, 2013

It arrived yesterday, in very nice condition, and in original box.

I have only managed a couple of quick trips around the locale to get a feel for it.

First outing I got back with a few shots, and was a little disappointed at first, they weren't really as sharp as I was expecting. After a bit of thinking I went out again without the 1A filter attached, and it was much better.

It was a Jessops own brand Skylight filter that had been attached, and my Googling only confirmed my own experience - it's a flippin' awful filter. Many comments suggest it cuts light by over half a stop, and it made all the shots look a bit soft.

I can't afford a decent UV to go with this right now, so I'll probably take a chance without - I always use the hood anyway.

Here's a few boring shots I got anyway (all PP'd in Aperture):

Taken with the Jessops filter attached, check out that flare!

Also taken with the filter attached, although not too bad.

Taken without the filter.

Overall, once I removed the filter, the 14-54 does prove to be a bit sharper than the 'kit' 14-42 - although the difference is hard to pick out, and does show how good the kit lens actually is. I have even had to modify my standard sharpening preset in Aperture to accommodate.

I've now got the two kit lenses (a 14-42 and MkII 40-150) up on auction, as well as my Tamron 35-70 Macro (feel free to PM me if interested in the Uk ;-)), and my bases are now well covered with the 14-54 and Sigma 55-200. I'm also holding on to the old Korboron 60-300, as that does perform surprisingly well.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow