Nex-7 vs EM5 Shutter Speed comparision at ISO 200

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 4,666
Like?
Re: Nex-7 vs EM5 Shutter Speed comparision at ISO 200
In reply to KenBalbari, Apr 4, 2013

KenBalbari wrote:

I'm curious.  In these kind of threads trying to sort out what always seem to be fairly small differences (say 1/3 a stop) in reported ISO, there always seems to be an unstated assumption that reported shutter speeds are accurate.  Is there any technical merit to that assumption? Do we know that shutter speeds are accurate to within 1/3 stop, any moreso than ISO?

I especially wonder since fine adjustments on shutter speed are normally not possible.  You typically can't set a shutter of 1/36 for example.  There may be no intermediate steps at all between 1/30 and 1/40. Doesn't mean those aren't accurate.  But if the speed were 1/38 for example, the camera software might not even allow that to be reported.  That might have to be reported as 1/40.

There isn't any testing done, to my knowledge. However, you could easily verify the speed for some shutter speeds using a computer or controllable light display.

Any exposure over a few seconds should be easy to check, just by photographing an analogue clock.

Short shutter speeds will be tricky though.

Found some useful links for you:

http://www.syscompdesign.com/AppNotes/shutter-cal.pdf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow