Nex-7 vs EM5 Shutter Speed comparision at ISO 200

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 452
Like?
Re: Nex-7 vs EM5 Shutter Speed comparision at ISO 200
In reply to texinwien, Apr 4, 2013

No shooting, but some friendly advice that you have a lot to learn here, and it's a pretty complicated topic. Try to take your time, keep an open mind and not jump to conclusions while you're still figuring things out.

You're right and actually I kind of found the answer I was looking for although not entirely.

When Mjankor said:

"Dxo and sensorgen ratings are not actually related to manufacturers iso ratings. Both cameras are correct, or within a third of a stop or so, as per the standard."

He didn't give me much explanation but I found one here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50892647

What that post as well as some other info I quickly read explained is that Measured ISO as stated by dxomark or sensorgen are somehow related to dynamic range and clipped highlights and not to ISO as would be measured by a light meter.

In the case of a light meter the ISO on the OMD is indeed with 1/3EV so I get at least that part now. All this talk about OMD overstating ISO is wrong and by people who themselves don't understand what Measured ISO actually means and then confuse folks like me who are new to all of it and are just trying to understand all the data flying around.

So essentially one can and should expect similar shutter for the same f.stop and ISO. If it is a bit off, it's only because different cameras may under or over expose a bit.

What I still don't quiet get is what is the Measured ISO really saying when comparing these cameras. Is that suppose to give me some sort of idea of a dynamic range vs noise trade off...I am still confused so if anyone can clearly explain please do.

It took me while to sort this ISO nonsense out but I am glad I found some info finally that was helpful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow