nikon vs canon

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Questions thread
luisfgranada
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Re: nikon vs canon
In reply to Joeb173, Apr 4, 2013

Hello there,

I'm in the middle of a dilemma myself. I used to have a Canon EOS Rebel XS (1000D in Europe) for a couple of years and the last year I sold it to buy the Nikon D90. I have nothing to say against this camera as it's a very good camera, but now I don't know if it's a good idea to switch back to Canon. I'm spending a lot of time reading and making comparisons and the main difference I see is in the price and availability of lenses. Tthis is a personal choice and might not be your case.

The main differences I've have found are the following:

I've heard people talking about the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM which is a wide zoom of a very good quality at a regular price. Nikon has nothing at this price, if you want something similar you need to go for the Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED which it might be better (I don't know) but it is two times the price of the canon.

The other lens is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM which is a good lens and cheap, if you want to buy something similar in Nikon you need to buy the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR which is twice the price.

The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM is a very good quality lens (I've seen some reviews) and better than the nikon AF VR Zoom-Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED which are about the same price. Recently Nikon released the new AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR but this is twice the price of the Canon and the previous Nikon version.

And the last lens I might want to buy is the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM which is about $1300. Is cheap and good quality. If I want something similar in Nikon I need to go for the AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR which is about $8500.

Of course every people need to think what kind of photography they want to do. The kind of photography I would like to do is wildlife photography and landscape as well, and that's why I'm interested in these lenses (the cheaper the better as I'm not a pro).

So there are differences, the camera bodies might be not so different, but the lenses I think at the moment Canon has more models available and lower prices than Nikon (Canon has at the moment five models of the 70-200 lens, and four models of the 400mm lens)

This is driving me crazy and I will probably make a choice over the weekend, but because I'm not a pro and I'm not planning to buy $6000+ lenses (for now) I might switch to Canon again.

Regards,

Luis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow