Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
L Copps
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Bought a MeiKe RX100
In reply to L Copps, Apr 4, 2013

The other week, I took my RX100 in my MeiKe housing to the pool with my Epic 18X kayak to test it out.  I wanted to see if housing with the neck strap would stay around my neck with the neck if I capsized.  One fear I had was the camera would come off and sink to the bottom and I would never see it again.  I did a number of eskimo rolls with the camera on my neck with the neck strap.  After more than 10 rolls during the evening, it never came off.  I then dropped it in the water and happily I discovered it floats quite well.  A normal waterproof camera would sink like a rock.  I did break the strap as the small ribbon that attaches to the case came off when I pulled on the strap.  I can easily stitch it back on with some durable nylon thread.  I would suggest stitching it to bolster the strength before you use it.  You can see the camera LCD clearly and manipulate the settings with the controls.  I found myself even reviewing photos I took while sitting in my kayak.  After all the rolling and splashing, not a drop make it into the case.  I like the MeiKe's smaller size.  Its about the size of a DLSR and feels just like holding a DLSR with a very good grip built right into the case.  I notice some water droplets on the lens, so I plan to get a flip lens cover  to screw into the 67mm threads.  Took some pictures for a series of blog articles I am writing for the club blog .

One observation I made was the possibility of the LCD protector causing the mode button slippage problem since the rubber stand-offs of the case contact the camera on the LCD protector which will back the camera off the rubber control weel slightly.

But overall, I am pleased with the MeiKe case and plan to take it kayaking in the Ocean, estuaries, lakes, and rivers with my RX100 and not have to settle for second rate pictures from my kayak where some of my best photographic opportunities are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow