New 100-400 in a few months?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648Gear list
Like?
Re: "nothing wrong"
In reply to joger, Apr 4, 2013

joger wrote:

don't mention the type II tele lenses here - you might get serious bashing for that

Sure - the type II tele lenses are a good deal better then any current zoom and probably ever will BUT in terms of convenience and weight they are of course different and the 100-400 would surely be a f/5.6 end aperture design (being in reality t/6.x)

And as such it would be lighter and more affordable. I am sure it would take several months until it is in regular supply anyhow - even with a moderate demand - the price is for some people no trigger point - it is the quality of the lens - a superb 100-400 would find it's market - no doubt.

And even 7D owners would benefit without purchasing a new 7D II body

I guess the 7D, 5D, 5D II and 5D III and 6D owners would be a huge crow of potential buyers - as said many times before - Canon has a lot of tele zooms but only two meet my personal expectations and also 70-200 f/2.8 II owners might be tempted to get a travel zoom on the same optical quality but most of them would never buy a II tele - 3 k USD dosen't sound that crazy with the Nikon offering in parallel

of course IMHO

But the situation for Canon and Nikon are very different. Nikon only has an affordable 70-300 and it didn't have a very good 80-400. Canon on the other hand has the 70-300L, which is a really good lens, worth every penny of its reasonably high pricetag, and Canon has a good 100-400L that is actually very affordable for what it delivers.

Nikon really needed to udate the 80-400, but for Canon there are various options to consider and plenty of time to consider them. To me it doesn't make sense for Canon to release a 100-400L that is equal in price and performance to the new Nikkor. Unless of course they see a booming market for such a lens.

I own the 100-400L and love it. If I had $3k to spare and wanted to get a step up from what I have now, I would consider a used 300/2.8 mkI. In fact, that is one of the options I'm considering unless Canon comes up with a 400/5.6L IS or Sigma makes a 300/2.8 OS 'Sports' (with improved quality control).

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow