Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: "nothing wrong"
In reply to joger, Apr 4, 2013

joger wrote:

don't mention the type II tele lenses here - you might get serious bashing for that

Sure - the type II tele lenses are a good deal better then any current zoom and probably ever will BUT in terms of convenience and weight they are of course different and the 100-400 would surely be a f/5.6 end aperture design (being in reality t/6.x)

And as such it would be lighter and more affordable. I am sure it would take several months until it is in regular supply anyhow - even with a moderate demand - the price is for some people no trigger point - it is the quality of the lens - a superb 100-400 would find it's market - no doubt.

And even 7D owners would benefit without purchasing a new 7D II body

I guess the 7D, 5D, 5D II and 5D III and 6D owners would be a huge crow of potential buyers - as said many times before - Canon has a lot of tele zooms but only two meet my personal expectations and also 70-200 f/2.8 II owners might be tempted to get a travel zoom on the same optical quality but most of them would never buy a II tele - 3 k USD dosen't sound that crazy with the Nikon offering in parallel

of course IMHO

But the situation for Canon and Nikon are very different. Nikon only has an affordable 70-300 and it didn't have a very good 80-400. Canon on the other hand has the 70-300L, which is a really good lens, worth every penny of its reasonably high pricetag, and Canon has a good 100-400L that is actually very affordable for what it delivers.

Nikon really needed to udate the 80-400, but for Canon there are various options to consider and plenty of time to consider them. To me it doesn't make sense for Canon to release a 100-400L that is equal in price and performance to the new Nikkor. Unless of course they see a booming market for such a lens.

I own the 100-400L and love it. If I had $3k to spare and wanted to get a step up from what I have now, I would consider a used 300/2.8 mkI. In fact, that is one of the options I'm considering unless Canon comes up with a 400/5.6L IS or Sigma makes a 300/2.8 OS 'Sports' (with improved quality control).

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow