Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens? Test vs 17mm prime & 11-16 Tokina

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,930Gear list
Like?
Re: You might be asking the wrong question
In reply to captura, Apr 4, 2013

captura wrote:

Gary, let's say someone is considering a fantastic camera; the NEX-6. Then with due dilligence they research the standard bundled lens, and t's the 16-50. The reports on that are very mixed. Well an average buyer may not bother doing the online mix-and match thing. They are more likely just get the E-PL5 or whatever else was on the store shelf, because the kit lens has more favorable reviews than the 1650.

Well, the 16-50 is the new kit lens.  What would you have Sony do, go back to the 18-55?

I think the average user says, "Oh, I've known Canon for years.  I'm getting that one!"  

Seriously, though, I'm more interested in what the 16-50 is or isn't more than whether "reports" are "mixed" and how that may affect sales.

In the early days of the Nex, there were a number of complaints about the lens being too large.  I've lived with the 18-55, but I also see the appeal in a smaller lens, so if we can get a smaller lens with seemingly little penalty (and perhaps improvement!), then I think that's pretty exciting.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow