If this becomes viable, then goodby solid state drives.

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,918
Like?
Re: If this becomes viable, then goodby solid state drives.
In reply to lylejk, Apr 4, 2013

I assume that you're assuming that fast flipping of the magnetic bits will translate into faster speeds, but with magnetic hard drives that won't be the case because speeds depend on the mechanical movement of the media, and that's not likely to change much.   Increased transfer rates have come along with increases in information density, but that doesn't seem to be what's being talked about here.

That's the big issue with magnetic media - how do you arrange to make a particular bunch of bits accessible to the read/write mechanism?

Bubble memory was an attempt to deal with that problem by using a fixed, solid substrate containing a "ring" of magnetic domains which would do a sort of "conga line" past a read/write station.  So although the media itself didn't move the bits did - therefore had the same access time issues as physically rotating media.   Bubble memory has long ago faded out of relevance.

If someone can come up with a way to solve the access problem, then this new technology could be very promising.   But until then I'm not holding my breath.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow