Any Problem Using Two External USB-Powered HDDs on rMBP?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,581Gear list
Like?
Re: Un-mounting Drives Before Sleep-Mode
In reply to noirdesir, Apr 4, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

RustierOne wrote:

They bring up another problem I'm encountering - un-mounting all drives and partitions before entering sleep mode. When I manually enter sleep mode (closing the lid) I'm un-mounting all partitions and drives first. But sometimes when the laptop is unattended for a while it enters sleep mode without the drives/partitions being unmounted. When I wake-up the machine, there's warning message to un-mount the drives first.

Do you know of any workaround for this problem, other than just setting the time before sleep to be longer?

I never had any problems of this kind, ie, putting the computer to sleep and waking it up again causing the drives to disconnect (with that warning message). While I have seen a few reports of this, the vast majority of people don't have any problems.

It could be that only some drive enclosures/drives react like this, it could be that only some Mac models react like this.

Is there a difference between bus-powered and externally powered drives for you?

(You naturally can always set your computer to never sleep on its own as a workaround.)

The internal drive is a SSD, which has never given a warning message to dismount before shutting down. My machine is a mid-2012 rMBP, 15-inch, 256 GB SSD, 16GB memory.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow