Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,331Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not clear-cut
In reply to RobertSigmund, Apr 4, 2013

RobertSigmund wrote:

Darrell Spreen wrote:

Adobe owns the code and that may, itself, be protected from copying, transferring, reselling, etc. but all owner's rights are not necessarily relinquished under the license agreement as I understand it.  There have been court cases over the matter as it relates to software and, particularly when the license agreement is shrink-wrapped or "click-wrapped", some courts have held that the licensee is not bound by the terms of the agreement if it is only divulged after purchase.  Other courts have taken the opposite position.

It is clear that you do not own Adobe's code and you may not mess with it.  You may not offer it or its parts in any other form.  But you do own the product you purchased.  Some software companies have tried to dispute that -- some have won and some have lost.  Some software companies play fast and loose under what they feel is the EULA umbrella.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Thank you for the first reasonable post - apart of my owns - about this topic. I am astonished aboud the slave natures who think they have only "rented" the software. Indeed: not. Adobe and Microsoft want to introduce this business model now - it depends on us all whether we will succumb to these greedy ba$tards!!!!

It is this "entitlement mentality" that I find a bit astonishing. They are "greedy bastards" because they are in business to make money, they have a product that has value, and they want you to pay for the value you get? Yearly licensing is a business model that has been adopted extensively by high end SW tool vendors.  Vendors tend to move to it when the periodic upgrade model loses steam.  This is clearly the case for products like Photoshop and MS Office.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GimpNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow