Moire...

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
BlueHeron74
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Re: Moire...
In reply to Greyser, Apr 4, 2013

For birds/critters, I mostly shoot hand held.  For the most part, I haven't had any problems with moire/false color shooting hand held.

When I use a tripod, I have seen some moire/false color.  A while back I posted some pictures of a tufted titmouse with moire/false color.   A lot of detail was lost in the uploading to DPR, so I don't know how much good it will be view them.  But, they should still be in my gallery.   I haven't shot many birds since then using a tripod.

For critters, this lovely lady is typical of what to expect with fur when shooting from a tripod at close distances:

DA 300, f/5.6 full size.  I was focusing on her chin (center point focus)

fur crop

The green stands out more.  But the same hair can be purple and green.  The red spots blend into the brown fairly well.

Whisker crop

It is difficult to see, but zoomed in, the lightly colored whisker alternates between green, blue, purple and a reddish color.   In real life, the whisker looked black to me.  I wouldn't call the whisker a moire pattern, but I believe the false color is caused by the lack of AA filter.

I keep meaning to make some comparison shots with the K5, but I haven't had a chance yet.

BlueHeron74's gear list:BlueHeron74's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Nikon D800 Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow