Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
Re: If size is the reason...
In reply to Russ Houston, Apr 4, 2013

Russ Houston wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

jermdawg wrote:

Hey guys,

So I have an 'ancient' Nikon D200 and a few lenses that I enjoy using (when I do shoot). In fact, I brought my rig with me to Europe a few weeks back and I'd say it was somewhat worth it. But I soon realized, after an aching back, that it really would have been nice not having to lug all that equipment around (D200 body, Tokina 11-16mm, Tamron 17-50mm, and Sigma 50-150).

I've seen MFTs around and had it in the back of my head, but never really looked into them a whole lot. I know they're still relatively new but at least 3-4 generations in now right?

Dumping the Nikon rig would be a pretty huge move in favor of going to MFT. I'm wondering if I should go this route, and if so, what MFTs are most highly regarded? I've heard great things about the Panasonic GF1 and Olympus EP2, but those are older and I'm sure there are newer ones that are the latest and greatest.

When I do shoot, which is hardly these days, I enjoy general street-shooting (not necessarily of people), landscapes, and some still/slow-life. Every now and then, if I have the opportunity to attend a sporting event (and if I'm up for it), I might be inclined to bring along the DSLR. However, I'd say the amount of lugging around is probably what keeps me from using the camera as much as I'd like or want to.

Any suggestions/recommendations as to the MFT systems out there that might be worth looking more into?

...then I would say go mFT, and an EM5 + 7-14 / 4 + 12-35 / 2.8 + 35-100 / 2.8 should pretty much cover it, and then some.

On the other hand, if the reason for a change is better IQ/operation, I'd say to check out a newer Nikon body, like the D7100 to put behind those lenses would be the way to go.

I'd disagree.  I've been shooting with a Pentax K5 for a couple of years and it's one of the best APS-C cameras out.  When I bought my OM-D last year, I rarely felt the need to shoot the K5.  Was the image quality better?  Yes, slightly, and at ISO6400 and above.  But it was not enough to make me carry the Pentax kit when I could shoot with the OM-D and the 45/1.8 or 75/1.8, or even some of the variable aperture zooms.

Any of the newest MFT cameras will blow away the D200 in terms of IQ.  The D200 was a great camera, but it's 5+ years old and technology has moved well past it.  It sounds like you want a smaller kit without giving up much quality.  MFT is the way to go.

-- hide signature --

I agree with Russ, but just partly.  I, too, shot with a K-5.  I tested them side by side and found the E-M5 to be superior in resolution and noise.  In terms of accurate focusing, there is no contest - the E-M5 wins.  Ergonomics and durability go to the Pentax.  Portability - again no contest.

When I did a direct comparison the Pentax had to go.  Only the 35mm DA Limited made me want to keep it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow