The role of creativity

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Colin Franks
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Re: The role of creativity
In reply to Vlad S, Apr 4, 2013

Hi Vlad.  I’m actually unclear about your overall point or question.  Were you amazed by the initial image, then felt let down by how common of an image it is?  Or are you unhappy that such an image would come second in a contest?  I’m not sure.

In any event, it should be common knowledge that these women in the pictures are women who live in Cuba (Havana) where people are generally very poor monetarily.  These women (and some men) have learned that many tourists love this sort of novel image, and they’ve found a way to earn some money by their daily routine of dressing up, planting themselves in a downtown location (in areas where most of the tourists are) and asking for a dollar for a photo.

Their getup is colourful, tropical, exotic, and perhaps a little comical to our winter-worn North American eyes.  If your point/question is that the photo required little to no creativity on the part of the photographer, then there may be a valid point in that, but there is some creativity on the part of the subject, and it’s an image which most people like to look at.

Once one has been to Cuba and got those sorts of shots out of their system and then moves on to more “real” shots of Cuba and Cubans, then naturally one will look upon such shots as low hanging fruit, but I have to wonder if these images are looked upon as “photographically pedestrian” simply because of their ubiquity.  It seems that once something is commonplace, it is loathed.

In other words, if no Cuban women ever dressed up like this, yet one day one of them did for a few hours and you captured her in some photos, would you have been creative?

Respectfully,

Colin

-- hide signature --

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow