Sensor Size & Versatility

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor Size & Versatility
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 4, 2013

Biggs23 wrote:

Portrait photography? You're arguing that the majority of today's portrait photography would be improved had they been taken with a medium format camera?

Yes. Every single one for which APS-C would be insufficient would be improved with a MF back, at the very least, but I would easily say "the majority".

Living in the world of portrait photography I have to strongly disagree. Sure, some studio portraiture would but outside of that context, no way.

See above.

Is that why 90% of forum traffic surrounding a new camera is about high ISO performance? High ISO use is NOT a tiny subset of modern digital photography.

This forum's personal fetishes aside, it is. Judging ISO usage based on DPR's average population is like going over to RFF and concluding that film is still more popular than digital.

You can be a LOT farther away with that D800 to get the same shot, so yes, I do.

Not really. Perspective, for starters.

The last concert I went to a was able to bring my gear along without a problem.

Let me get this straight: you shot with a 35mm SLR at a classical concert? do notice I'm not talking about rock or metal, where you could shoot with a freakin' rifle and the guy next to you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

I'd bet that it hasn't been a decade since you needed ISO 800 though!

True, but it's been a few years since I've needed ISO1600, and can't even remember if I've ever had an use for 3200+.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
jeezNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow