Aperature or Lightroom?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions thread
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: Patience, Grasshopper.
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Apr 4, 2013

Thanks, Majik. When people begin comparing the 2 programs and talk about User Interface or Modal Processes, it all goes right over my head.

I was told that Aperture started out by Apple hiring a bunch of well-known photographers to brainstorm and to chart out needed features. That alone is comforting. But beyond being a Mac user at home and work since 1987, the OS and interface of Apple programs is familiar.

This will be repeating questions I posed here 2 months ago, but the Lightroom database system of filing images scares me off. Perhaps necessary, so that original files go untouched and sequential edited files can be accessed.

I don't want that. I want a hierarchical file structure that I design. And then I'll use PhotoMechanic to upload images from my SD card, and do quick renaming, tagging, keywording and other Metadata tricks in bulk. That just appeals to me.

Aperture will do most of what I need. Responders to my earlier questions satisfied my concern for a few features:  good shadow retention/recovery, lens distortion correction, HDR. Somewhere in there would the need for Raw conversion of Nikon files. So it seems a few plug-ins will be needed along the workflow. The names suggested were PhotoNinja, DxO, NIK, and so on.

I'm resigned to that need and expect to pay a little more for it. And like you I was excited to learn about the hiring of the Adobe exec into the Apple workforce. Adobe + Apple? What could it mean other than better imaging software? Even an Apple DSLR camera? A car that runs on Cold Fusion energy?

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow