ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fagopher
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Buying an speedlight for Nikon D5100 and CLS
Apr 4, 2013

Hi All,

I have reviewed a lot of similar questions but still I am in need of your expert advise.

Budget:

I am a newbie and a hobbyist. Meaning I want to buy as much as I can with as little as I have. I set mi initial budget to less than $200. I reviewed my options and found cheap Yongnuo but found a posting saying that it might not work well with the D5100. In another forum someone suggested to buy a good First Shoe mount flash and then cheap ones (if I want more than one flash).

Then I looked into the Nikon speedlights. The SB-400 don't have the left-right swivel so I think I am going to pass on that one. SB-600, there is no offers in amazon. Found some used ones in ebay though, so lets say I can afford the SB-700. I read bout it and they talk very well on the Nikon CLS, but I understood I would have to buy all flashes Nikon with CLS capability and I am not sure I am going to do that, or if my pocket would allow me to do so (not sure if I am right on this point)

So in short. I am still confused as what to buy... I want to buy something that I can use for long time, and that I can use for playing with many features, but I don't want to spend more money that I really need to. CLS seems ot be veyr nice feature.. but would I be able to use with 1 Nikon speedlight and other 2rd party one(s)? Would I be better off buying cheap ones ?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow