Aperature or Lightroom?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,581Gear list
Like?
Patience, Grasshopper.
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 4, 2013

bravozulu wrote:

I'm a lurker on this forum and on Aperture until I get enough money to buy the new iMac. I read this thread in the morning and then swung by the new Apple Store in Santa Monica, California. That's where I'll buy my machine, and where I queried one of the sales reps about Aperture.

This guy was a pro photographer who graduated from the Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara. He was solidly behind my notion of using PhotoMechanic to ingest and tag images and then progress to Aperture. I said (not really knowing what I am talking about) that I was scared by the learning curve in PhotoShop and though Aperture would satisfy my modest needs.

But now, three months after our initial conversation, Apple hasn't made any announcements. About upgraded versions or intentions of continued support.

Between LightRoom and Aperture, there isn't much of an upfront cost difference. But with Aperture, I would get free training and face-to-face help at the Apple Store. If Apple leaves the program with no improvements, will it serve me well for 2 or 3 more years?

I have every confidence that Apple is working hard on Aperture 4 right now and intends to continue updating the software. As evidence, look at the support for many new cameras that Apple has added in recent months. With iPhoto for the iPad, Apple introduced new tools that work similar to Nik Software's plugins with Control Points. Clearly, Apple's looking beyond just keeping feature parity with Adobe. I also find Apple's recent hiring of Adobe's Chief Technology Officer very interesting.

Don't let the naysayers get you in a tizzy. Because Apple doesn't pre-announce, for months before Aperture 3 was released, lots of folks on these forums were declaring Aperture dead. I think a lot of them were/are a) impatient Aperture dabblers or b) Lightroom fans who for some perverse reason want Aperture to go away. Much of what's new in Lightroom 4 was simply catching up with features Aperture had had for a long time. LR does have some neat tricks that Aperture lacks, but the reverse is also true. Even as it is now, Aperture is a worthy contender. I use it to run my event & portrait business, and the ease of use, clean interface, and non-modal workflow make it much faster for high-volume work. I'm hoping for improved noise reduction, sharpening and lens correction. For now, I'm perfectly happy to rely on Nik plugins and PT Lens for those tools.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow