Are there any "rules" for using ISO?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 632Gear list
Like?
Re: Are there any "rules" for using ISO?
In reply to mike703, Apr 4, 2013

mike703 wrote:

This is a bit weird.  ...  f/16 is a rather ridiculous aperture to be using in low light (it's a tiny hole that doesn't let much light in and would only normally used in very bright light) and does suggest that you are slightly confused...

It is a bit weird...  I am realizing that I have not been applying the basics of aperture, etc.  Trying to think too much about DOF, ISO and not about the relationship between f-stop and shutter speed first.

Probably the simplest and most widely used auto mode is aperture priority (Av).  Select this and, as you are shooting in fading light, set your lens to its widest aperture (smallest f-number... so f/4 is a much bigger hole than f/16 and lets in a lot more light).  See what shutter speed you get.  WIth a 300mm lens hand-held ideally you want 1/500 second or quicker, so raise the ISO until you get 1/500 sec.  Now you're good to go.

I was using Av most of the time until I wasn't getting fast enough shutter speeds, so switched to shutter-priority.  That is when I began having trouble with exposure, and made some wrong turns in the process!

Don't worry if you have to raise the ISO

800 is the highest I have raised the ISO, but then I messed up the picture by using f/16!  Guess it is time to try the higher ISO settings, and watch the low light warnings...

Thanks Mike.  Now that I asked the question and got so many answers saying the same kinds of things, I feel kind of dumb.  But everyone has been kind, and helped me to "see the light"!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow