The Hands of Cuba

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Colin Franks
Contributing MemberPosts: 801Gear list
Like?
Re: The Hands of Cuba
In reply to efontu, Apr 4, 2013

"Any tips will be highly regarded."

Havana is much bigger than I expected.  The city is home to 2 million people.  Before I went I printed off a little map of downtown and thought that I would hit all the streets in an efficient grid pattern.  Silly me.  It's so huge, bustling, and most all the streets look the same, I was lost in 5 minutes.

It is safe.  The people know that they desperately need the tourism, and they also know that they are in some deep deep trouble with the ubiquitous police should they get caught.  The fact too that there are so many people around makes it unlikely that anyone would attempt to rob you.

The people are mostly friendly; always ask if you can take their photo; most will say yes.  There are the "posers" - the people (ladies mostly) who dress up, complete with a giant cigar, and these individuals demand a dollar.  They keep an eagle-eye open for anyone in their vicinity taking their picture.  I saw one guy who got quite hostile with people.

Trinidad is great, so is Cienfuegos.  No matter where you go, the photo-ops are endless, especially in Havana.
Cover yourself with a 45 sunscreen in the morning and you'll be good for the day.  Drink only bottled water, which can be had in many places.  Watch your step for dog poop on the streets.

Take items to give away that you think they'll like/want/need.  There is much poverty, so give that some thought.

-- hide signature --

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow