Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,572Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor Size & Versatility
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 3, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

There might be a few who would pick just one prime for their camera and live with it forever. But most would pick a zoom lens if only one lens were the option. Why? Versatility.

What's your point?

Explaining "versatility".

I don't think the word 'explaining' means what you think it means.

I would suggest that when you need such focal lengths, you might be better off using crop mode to have a greater optical reach.

Did you not catch the 'cropped to 50%' part?

You can do that with APS-C or smaller sensors too. But, I'm strictly speaking of optical reach (where your metering and composition are also affected).

Of course you can, but 50% of 16MP is only 8MP, whereas 50% of 36MP is 16MP. So...

And 24MP is... or 22MP is... or 20MP is... and so anybody who invests in a 300mm f/2.8 is a fool? Should get 200mm f/2.8 and crop?

How in the world did you get that from what I said?!

You clipped my original quote which added that the most versatile solution would be to carry both!

Your choice was: Pick one.

That's not my choice at all lol. I don't have to pick one and have not. I own zoom lenses from 14mm through 200mm at f/2.8 and I own a variety of 1.4 primes. I do not have to choose just one.

So, why do you spend on zoom lenses when you can get better quality and faster speed with primes?

Hint: Versatility.

Remember a few posts ago where I said that zooms were more versatile than primes? So why in the world are you rehashing it now?

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
jeezNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow