Canceled my order for the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
boxerman
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Re: Canceled my order for the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II
In reply to FrankParis, Apr 3, 2013

FrankParis wrote:

... 300mm, the image was jumping all over the place in the viewfinder. My hands are just too shaky.

I can't tell if you know that you can set the camera to do IS on half-press. This is a lifesaver, and is worth quite a lot, even if the IS were off on actually shooting. (E.g., when shooting at high shutter speeds, the IS is not helpful, EXCEPT that it really steadies the view for framing, etc.)

I've always had good luck with monopods and long lenses in the past. In particular, with a Fujifilm HS10 (not very heavy or substantial) on safari. You do have to work on technique to get the best out of a monopod, i.e., figure out how to brace yourself and the pod. In a jeep, on safari, there are things to lean against, so I don't find the monopod tricky in that circumstance.

Have got a nice < 1 lb monopod that'll be given a test on safari this summer.

Handholding has worked for me mostly with the 75-300. Obviously bracing on fence, etc., helps too. Shooting BIFs handheld doesn't yet work for me. It's focus thing, I'm pretty sure. Here's a handheld at 300 mm, 1/250 sec. BTW, for reference, I'm 65. Not as steady as I was...

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow