Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,616Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor Size & Versatility
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 3, 2013

Hi
              To ME the most versatile is the one that can do the most for the
              individual concerned and that will vary greatly from person to person.

Each size has its pluses and minuses....leaving aside larger formats
              (though I would still like to try digital with my Polaroid 600SE)..

FF    I want FF mirrorless interchangeable lens (used film for many
                    many years).   Pluses.... all things being equal IQ and can have
                    DOF advantages* (not a big one for me).   Minuses....larger (a
                    BIG minus for me in terms of versatitlity), cost and weight.

Below FF, Dslrs have only a small size advantage (my Pentax Kx is one
               of the smallest Dslrs but is still big enough to not be much different
               in terms of dimensions....though considerably lighter)...lenses I use are
               all FF ones so no difference there.

Mirrorless is what SHOULD give the size advantages in the
              CAMERA and the sensor size is what gives the LENS size advantages...and
               FF mirrorless when it comes is going to be great.

I am an average photgrapher but I DO shoot sports and concerts with
               apsc dslrs (and a lot of bands and newspapers have used my pics as has
               a national sporting type paper).  I use a 300 2.8 and other lenses for
               sport and shorter primes and zooms for concerts.

A 300 2.8 can be heavy to lug around for hours and if I did not get a
               photo pass for concerts, I would mostly not be able to take my dslr camera...

My latest "toy" is a Pentax Q...the IQ is ok, it is ok at highish ISO,
               the kit zoom is good and small adapted lenses give tremendous "reach" at
               higher shutter speeds than I could get with other formats....I can take
               it far more places than I could CURRENT FF or apsc dslrs, a LOT lighter
               (I can have a "300mm 1.2" in my pocket), traveling is a lot easier,
               concerts from the crowd (no pass) are possible in many cases, sporting
               events from the crowd are much more likely (especially when there is a
               physical length restriction)....

So, to ME, a smaller size with adequate IQ is MUCH more versatile than
               larger with better IQ and a slight narrowing of DOF.

I will use many formats, but smaller can be with me a LOT more often.

Having said all that, having a set of lenses I can use on all formats is
               FAR more versatile than several cameras with lenses only useable on one.
               Ok,so I guess that is a further plus for smaller MIRRORLESS as they can adapt
               more.

In short, the smallest useable, most adaptable mirrorless is the most versatile to ME.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
jeezNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow