Do you leave your A77 (or other SLT/SLR) behind when you go on holiday?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Claudio Galli
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you leave your A77 (or other SLT/SLR) behind when you go on holiday?
In reply to Beaverhelmet, Apr 3, 2013

Beaverhelmet wrote:

Claudio Galli wrote:

Beaverhelmet wrote:

Tom2572 wrote:

So, throwing the question out there, do you feel comfortable leaving your best camera behind when you go on vacation?

Yes I do. Though I love my A77, 16-50 f/2.8, Minolta 28-135 "secret handshake", Sigma 100-300 f/4 APO and HVL F58AM, I am not out of options whith my smaller camera stuff. I also own three NEX cameras and 45+ legacy lenses ranging from small rangefinders to big clunky Zeiss SLR. No limits more than my imagination and my own back.

Dear Beaverhelmet (I know is not not your name, but I do not have the real one!)

As I am not totally satisfied with my DT 18-250 (IQ wise) I am planning to use my old Minolta 28-135 (which I already have and that in my opinion is a good lens) mated with a Sony 16-50, which I am planning to buy. I know that the 28-135 doesn't have the same zoom range of the 18-250, but I think to compensate the low end with the 16-50 and the high end, if really necessary, with cropping (with the A77 and the 28-135 it shouldn't be a problem). Obviously I have to use two lenses instead of one. My intention is to keep the 16-50 on the camera, as a walk around/standard lens, and use the 28-135 if I need more reach. Having you both lenses, from your experience do you suggest such approach?

Thanks,

Claudio

Hi Claudio! (my real name is Fredrik btw)

Yes, I do warmly recommend it. At least for me it works perfectly. The 16-50 is a no brainer if you have a A65/A77 imho. The lens was definitely designed with those cameras in mind, and it is excellent bang for the buck, especially if you want a lens that works perfectly for both stills and video.

The revered 28-135 seemed like the perfect bridge between the 16-50 and 100-300 I had initially. But the first copy I came over did not at all fulfill my high expectations. I reckoned something was wrong with it since it was way too soft even stopped down a couple of clicks. So when I had the chance to buy an almost unused Dynax 7000i and another 28-135 for a fair price, I took it and struck gold. That second copy was far superor in every respect. Yes, it is somewhat prone to flares, and yes, it is not a particularly fast lens. But used with flash indoors as a portrait lens or outdoors at day, it really does a great job.

Many thanks Fredrik.

I have just made a quick check with my 28-135 and it seems definitely sharper than the 18-250. Following your suggestion, in a short time I will buy the 16-50 for my A77 (yes I will use it also for video).

All the best and thanks again,

Claudio

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow