Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,138
Like?
Beware of eBay
Apr 3, 2013

Many of us buy and sell equipment on eBay, and we know that scam artists abound there. I've bought and sold on eBay successfully myself. I finally got ripped off when I sold my Canon G10 on eBay. Somehow the clever theif arranged things so eBay listed the item as paid. He claimed his PayPal account had been debited. Stupidly, I went ahead and shipped the camera before making sure that funds had been received into my own PayPal account. But they were never received.

eBay still lists the camera as "paid". A rep from PayPal/eBay looked up the whole transaction (by the way, plan on spending an entire afternoon if you need to contact Help on either service) and said the buyer is not listed on either service, and is undoubtedly a theif. There's no way I can recover either the camera or the money which should have been paid. I'm mostly angry at myself, for having used eBay in the first place, and also for shipping the camera before I could see the funds in my PayPal account. But I'm mad at eBay too, for having no real help available except their long, boring, and uninformative "tutorials" - and for listing the camera as "paid", when it wasn't.

I hope the little story above will allow someone else to avoid the same trap I fell into. First - don't use eBay. Second, if you do use eBay, never ship an item until after you see the funds transferred into your account.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow