Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409Gear list
Like?
Re: Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)
In reply to zenpmd, Apr 3, 2013

This was just done at great length in the forum, well and with great meandering of course, as is normal. I think it comes down to what you want to do and how much the money is to you. If you've just won the lottery...

I have both of them, felt they were a bit overpriced (say 20% for the optics involved, i.e. size/elements/materials) but am pretty happy with the 35-100 and really would recommend it. I'm a bit 50:50 on the 12-35 as I don't think it's sharp enough away from the centre, but as a light extra zoom it is good (well, ignoring the cost). BTW I got about 20% off for a GH3 with the 12-35 so it came out as worth it, if someone took it away I'm not sure I'd buy a replacement for the full price. (The added weight of the GH3 over my GF1 made a light standard zoom seem a good idea, it's 155g lighter than my 14-140 and goes usefully wider to me. Do remember the long end is like 1.4x so not so much.)

All the above are just my opinions on this. But owning both and having shot quite a bit with them by now I think I'm entitled to a worthwhile view.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow