Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,079Gear list
Like?
Lets see what Olympus comes out with
In reply to zenpmd, Apr 3, 2013

If Oly comes out w lenses that are less dependent on software correction, cover a wider zoom range or are more compact, (the more of these, the better), they will trump the Panny lenses... If they are only just as good, we can hope they'd at least be less expensive.  Any of the above could push down the price of the Panasonic lenses.

If, however, what Olympus comes out with is no better, but more expensive, then the Pannys will look like the better value.

Until Olympus comes through w something, the Pannys will be the only game in town, so it's a matter of, if you need it you'll pay the price.

Me? don't need em, so the price is too high for me

doing fine w slower zooms and a couple select fast primes for when speed and IQ take priority over convenience...

btw, for about the same weight as the pair of 2.8 zoom I have the 12-50, 40-150, 14 and 45, and all together they cost less than the 12-35, give me more range and I have access to f1.8 (even if it's only at one focal length)  so Olympus will have to come out w something really spectacular to tempt me.

The 75mm 1.8 is actually starting to look reasonable... especially if one can snag a good deal somewhere.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow