EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

pevece wrote:

KennyXL wrote:

As for the argument that the NEX series is all about a smaller footprint and a fixed-aperture standard zoom would be too big?  Please...the 18-200mm is huge.  It is much bigger than my Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 Nikon-mount lens.  They seem to have zero philosophical problems with pushing out endless iterations of that focal range in a large body lens.

just look at the 18-200mm powerzoom !

That's not a fixed-aperture lens.  It is a 3.5-6.3 zoom lens which is considered quite slow (in the aperture sense).  Fast is usually considered to be f2.8 and wider (1.8, 1.4, 1.2, etc., etc.,...).

Fuji doesn't have a fixed aperture zoom either, or does it? Sony has one fixed aperture zoom (10-18 f/4 OSS) which is small and light. Fuji has one planned. But AFAIK, they have offered only one zoom so far, with variable aperture f/2.8-4.

I'm not implying that Fuji has one.  Fuji may or may not have a fixed-aperture standard zoom; I just haven't looked to find out since Fuji's not really on the horizon for me.  I can state definitively, at this time, Sony does not have one native to the NEX line and, as far as I know, will not be offering one in the near future (meaning this calendar year).  I haven't heard any credible rumor to the contrary, but would love it if someone can point out a link to me stating otherwise since waiting for one is becoming tiresome.

Well, Sony does have a constant aperture zoom (10-18 f/4), but if you're only talking about f/2.8, then no. However, I doubt a constant aperture f/2.8 zoom would help significantly considering size and weight will continue to be a problem (a reason Fuji too went with variable aperture normal zoom, albeit faster and charging for it).

Anybody looking for reasonably fast, should really look for primes that are generally at least a stop or more faster. For that matter, I have a Sony 16-50 f/2.8 which can be used on NEX, but I prefer 35/1.8 when I want low light capabilities (the zoom is preferred for versatility).

The 10-18mm is more of a wide-angle zoom, not really a standard zoom (which is more along the lines of 16mm or 17mm to 50mm or 55mm [possibly up to 70mm] on APS-C sensors) so it doesn't really fit what I said.

If you want to stick with standard zoom only, Fuji has one option, which isn't a constant aperture zoom, and Sony has two at this time and they are pretty much standard, inexpensive kit lenses.

I also don't think a 16-50mm f2.8 lens would be all that big.  My Nikon's Sigma 16-50mm f2.8 (also APS-C) is smaller than Sony's 18-200mm variable aperture zoom lenses.

Sony's own 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM for A-mount would serve as a good benchmark. Here it is along with my other zoom lenses:

Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 HSM OS, Cosina 60-300mm f/4-5.6, Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4, Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS E

The Sony 16-50mm/2.8 looks quite small compared to any but the E-mount 18-55. But, it is considerably thicker (it and the Sigma 18-250 have 72mm filter size). The Sigma 17-50/2.8 for your Nikon is slightly thicker than the Sony 16-50. The Nikon 17-55/2.8 is actually huge by comparison (111mm in length slightly more than the Cosima, and, 77mm filter size). The Sony 16-50/2.8 and Sigma 17-50/2.8 are both 570g or so. Nikon 17-55/2.8 tips the scale at about 750g.

Also worth noting is that the tiny 18-55 E here, looks huge on a NEX. So, the physical challenge (perception or otherwise) will be a part of it. One advantage to going APS-C compared to FF, for example is that for same FoV, APS-C needs smaller FL (16-50 compared to 24-70). But this advantage disappears for NEX. So, the gains are minimal.

Unfortunately, to use the Sony Alpha 16-50mm f2.8 lens you need to use one of the adapters which adds to the weight and the length which is why a native NEX lens is a better solution whenver Sony gets around to introducing it.  Also, since the Alpha cameras have in-body sensor stabilization, none of the the lenses have it so you lose out on image stabilization even if you decide to go the adapter route.  While I don't dispute that the fixed aperture standard zoom (please note the fixed-aperture part which the NEX line absolutely does not have at this time) is larger than the kit 18-55mm, it is smaller than the 18-200mm lenses of which there are 4 different models.

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow