Sensor Size & Versatility

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost OP Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Sensor Size & Versatility

joejack951 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

joejack951 wrote: Ok, so he didn't respond with exactly what you asked for but instead stated what he carries. A reasonable response but not much good for a direct comparison of versatility, weight, and size. However, the fact that his kit fits in a waist pack (versus say a large backpack) is still relevant to the discussion.

As I said then, lugging around 8+ lb of gear, even if held by just a string, isn't my idea of small, light and convenient. I offered to make a direct comparison.

Did you make a direct comparison? I didn't see it.

No, because I presented my idea of small and light for a walk around (Hint: I don't lug around even my small and light 200mm f/2.8 which I use only for action/sports much less make an excuse for a lens twice as heavy and nearly twice as big).

However, I did open the floor for a direct comparison, quoting lenses for FoV and weights.

You aren't putting your NEX kit in your pocket either and most likely put it in a bag of some sort in lieu of always wearing a jacket with large pockets or some other workaround to avoid a bag.

But one can put a NEX-6 in a pocket. In fact, if I'm out shooting casually, I might not need a bag at all (that is the kind of gear list I provided). And correct, I'd be wearing cargo shorts/pants.

You'd look pretty funny to me with a NEX and four lenses shoved into your shorts. Just saying. I'd rather have my D3S and 24-120/4 slung over my shoulder.

Actually, one lens would be on the camera, three in a pocket each. I've done it. I wonder if you would even try. May be not... your practice is determined by perception of what you're doing.

Nikon D600, 18-35/3.5-4.5, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 = 1886g / 4.1 lbs.

Nikon D600 (850g) versus Sony NEX-6 (345g) - Size Comparison Body only

Nikon D600 w/16-35mm f/4 VR versus Sony NEX-6 w/10-18mm f/4 OSS*

*used 18-55 OSS lens, but 10-18 is thicker and slightly heavier, but otherwise comparable.

Sony 10-18 offers a 15-28 FoV and the Nikon has 16-35, fairly comparable. Now combined weights:

Sony NEX-6 w/10-18 f/4: 570g (345g + 225g), 1.25lb

Nikon D600 w/16-35 f/4: 1530g (850g + 680g), 3.4 lb

Yes, tiny aperture lenses and unergonomic camera bodies are small and light.

I guess, for someone who would think lugging 8 lb of gear on a small waist belt as being inconsequential, I can imagine why ergonomics would be an issue.

2 lbs. extra won't break my back though. I'm not putting the D600 and either wide angle in a pocket but the NEX won't fit in any pocket on a piece of clothing I own either. Until Sony releases a 10-18/2.8 at a lower weight than an equivalent f/4 FF lens, I'll remain unimpressed.

Delivering fools gold shouldn't be anybody's priority. And no, an additional 2 lb won't break the back, for a bit longer, but if you that is your style, don't preach that shedding weight can't be done and hasn't been.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
tko
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Biggs23 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow