Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,547Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor Size & Versatility
In reply to joejack951, Apr 3, 2013

joejack951 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

joejack951 wrote: Ok, so he didn't respond with exactly what you asked for but instead stated what he carries. A reasonable response but not much good for a direct comparison of versatility, weight, and size. However, the fact that his kit fits in a waist pack (versus say a large backpack) is still relevant to the discussion.

As I said then, lugging around 8+ lb of gear, even if held by just a string, isn't my idea of small, light and convenient. I offered to make a direct comparison.

Did you make a direct comparison? I didn't see it.

No, because I presented my idea of small and light for a walk around (Hint: I don't lug around even my small and light 200mm f/2.8 which I use only for action/sports much less make an excuse for a lens twice as heavy and nearly twice as big).

However, I did open the floor for a direct comparison, quoting lenses for FoV and weights.

You aren't putting your NEX kit in your pocket either and most likely put it in a bag of some sort in lieu of always wearing a jacket with large pockets or some other workaround to avoid a bag.

But one can put a NEX-6 in a pocket. In fact, if I'm out shooting casually, I might not need a bag at all (that is the kind of gear list I provided). And correct, I'd be wearing cargo shorts/pants.

You'd look pretty funny to me with a NEX and four lenses shoved into your shorts. Just saying. I'd rather have my D3S and 24-120/4 slung over my shoulder.

Actually, one lens would be on the camera, three in a pocket each. I've done it. I wonder if you would even try. May be not... your practice is determined by perception of what you're doing.

Nikon D600, 18-35/3.5-4.5, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 = 1886g / 4.1 lbs.

Nikon D600 (850g) versus Sony NEX-6 (345g) - Size Comparison Body only

Nikon D600 w/16-35mm f/4 VR versus Sony NEX-6 w/10-18mm f/4 OSS*

*used 18-55 OSS lens, but 10-18 is thicker and slightly heavier, but otherwise comparable.

Sony 10-18 offers a 15-28 FoV and the Nikon has 16-35, fairly comparable. Now combined weights:

Sony NEX-6 w/10-18 f/4: 570g (345g + 225g), 1.25lb

Nikon D600 w/16-35 f/4: 1530g (850g + 680g), 3.4 lb

Yes, tiny aperture lenses and unergonomic camera bodies are small and light.

I guess, for someone who would think lugging 8 lb of gear on a small waist belt as being inconsequential, I can imagine why ergonomics would be an issue.

2 lbs. extra won't break my back though. I'm not putting the D600 and either wide angle in a pocket but the NEX won't fit in any pocket on a piece of clothing I own either. Until Sony releases a 10-18/2.8 at a lower weight than an equivalent f/4 FF lens, I'll remain unimpressed.

Delivering fools gold shouldn't be anybody's priority. And no, an additional 2 lb won't break the back, for a bit longer, but if you that is your style, don't preach that shedding weight can't be done and hasn't been.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
jeezNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow