Re: Future of Pentax?
In reply to JoeDaBassPlayer, Apr 3, 2013

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

Model Mike wrote:

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

Look at the K 01. It is a fantastic camera, but got killed by a malevolent press.

They K-01 got panned because it's a one trick pony.

The trick? Oh, you can focus manual lenses accurately. Unfortunately you need young eyes, or reading glasses, to actually see what you're shooting.

I have one, and I think it's brilliant, but that doesn't alter the fact that it was dead in the water.

-- hide signature --

The K-01 got poor reviews for specific reasons: controversial styling, large size (for a mirrorless), lack of viewfinder options, and slow operation. I have one and enjoy it immensely, but the style-over-function experiment obviously failed in the marketplace. I don't think focus peaking was mentioned in any reviews.

I am honestly thinking about getting a second one. My family members do not want to use my DSLR but want the K 01.

Which shows the failure of Pentax marketing on this. I have found that people react very positively when I show them my K-01 and let them use it, especially since the vast majority of them are comfortable shooting without a viewfinder. And it definitely leaves a much more positive impression in person than in any pictures. But alas, there was almost no way for the average U.S. consumer to ever even see one in person - this camera was doomed from the start.

No kidding! I have been shooting for 20+ years and the K 01 is by far my favorite camera. It is a stumbling block for the SLR crowd, but the non trad photog finds it to be a great tool.

If Pentax actually tried to market it, get some real reviews on it, and marketed the DA21 as a great add on, it could be pretty hot. I actually would lke to have a second one.

Joe, in one way Pentax did try to market the K-01.... by giving it a designer shell.  More to the point, when was the last time Pentax really tried to market ANY camera?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow