Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,643Gear list
Like?
Re: Are the constant aperture Panasonic lenses worth it (and are you wating for Olympus?)
In reply to zenpmd, Apr 3, 2013

I see it this way.

1. The 12-35mm is a good lens. However, it isn’t parfocal, it has some IS issues, and it really is quite expensive. For the 12-35mm focal range I really need VERY bright lenses like F2.0 for 12mm and F1.4 for the rest.
  2. I could get the 12mm F2.0 and the 25mm F1.4 for the same price as the 12-35mm when the 12-35mm was first released. I can still get the 14mm F2.5 and 25mm F1.4 for about the same price as the 12-35mm.
  3. For videos in the 12-35mm range I really don’t need IS.
  4. I really want a long focal length lens for shallow depth of field images and videos. However, that also requires IS.
  5. I also need a lens that covers the 35-100mm range for indoor videos and stills in low light.
  6. The 35-100mm is the single best video centric lens I have ever encountered. Its IS is excellent. Its focal range is good and its F2.8 constant aperture is definitely adequate if you also have an F1.4 or better lens for the really dark stuff.

That is why I skipped buying the 12-35mm and just got the 35-100mm instead. I couldn’t be happier. I almost never use my 14mm F2.5 or 25mm F1.4 anymore. However, I always have those lenses with me just in case.

The 35-100mm F2.8 is the one lens that I can make work in any situation with the GH3. I can think of another lens that is more versatile.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow