What is the best m43 for focus tracking?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296Gear list
Like?
Re: See this review..
In reply to Anders W, Apr 3, 2013

Anders W wrote:

clengman wrote:

olliess wrote:

clengman wrote:

olliess wrote:

Anders W wrote:

olliess wrote:

I was asking about that exact post. You state that the system only shifts the sensor in rotation about the horizontal axis (which I take to be the optical axis). So does this system compensate pitch and yaw only using vertical/horizontal translation?

Pitch and yaw are corrected by shifting the sensor up-down and left-right. All in-body IS systems do this and work like that.

Thanks. I understood previous in-body systems to work this way, but I had wondered (from the name?) if the Olympus system actually corrected for multiple rotation axes. It seems not.

I don't think you're understanding correctly.

Sorry, I should have said "corrected using multiple rotation axes." You can see from the previous post that I was talking about pitch/yaw compensation (two of three rotation axes) via sensor translation.

Sorry. My mistake.

I think the biggest misunderstanding of the E-M5 IBIS is that it's the 5-axis part that makes it great. The additional two axes are only valuable in limited circumstances and in fact those corrections can't be applied with most lenses. The lens has to be able to communicate its current focus distance to the camera in order for X and Y-axis translation correction to be done right. None of the m43 lenses that I have do that and obviously no adapted lens will either.

Not disputing your general point that two of the five axes are of pretty limited importance most of the time. The main point is that the new IBIS is very efficient in correcting the other three.

I believe it. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on an E-M5 at some point down the line. It sounds like the improved IBIS will be nice to use.

But I have strong reasons to think you are wrong when you say that all/most native MFT lenses don't report focus distance to the body and therefore can't even enable correction for vertical/horizontal shift. If they don't do that, why would information on focus distance appear in the E-M5 EXIFs, as it does for native, electrically connected lenses (possibly adapted FT lenses too, although I am not sure about that since I don't have any)?

I didn't say anything about all or most of the native lenses. I can only comment on the two native, electronically-coupled lenses I own, the mkI 14-42mm zoom and the non-R version of the 40-150mm zoom. I'm sure that some lenses (maybe most? I don't know.) report this value.

I've looked for the focus distance in the EXIF data for pictures taken with both these lenses and I have not seen a value for subject distance recorded anywhere.

If I'm wrong I don't mind being corrected.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow