Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor Size & Versatility
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 3, 2013

Biggs23 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

It won't match high end DSLRs in many aspects of photography. But, it can deliver a lot of everything, getting darn close to anything and everything practical.

Agreed, thanks for coming around. A MILC is a great solution for a lot of people, but it's not the most versatile as you admit above. It can't match high end (or many middle of the road dSLR's for that matter) and that makes it less versatile.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you failed to understand. You agree that a zoom lens is picked for its versatility. You certainly don't pick zoom lenses because they are better than primes, in IQ and speed, do you? You pick them for their versatility.

There might be a few who would pick just one prime for their camera and live with it forever. But most would pick a zoom lens if only one lens were the option. Why? Versatility.

I would suggest that when you need such focal lengths, you might be better off using crop mode to have a greater optical reach.

Did you not catch the 'cropped to 50%' part?

You can do that with APS-C or smaller sensors too. But, I'm strictly speaking of optical reach (where your metering and composition are also affected).

For that matter, do you think zoom lenses are more versatile than prime lenses?

Overall, yes, although a strong argument can be made for prime lenses being versatile as well. The most versatile solution is to come equipped with both.

For someone claiming a strong grasp of English language, you sure know how to make convoluted statements. So, let us look into this versatile solution where a prime lens is also a zoom lens.

It's not convoluted, it's very straight forward. I never said that a prime lens is also a zoom lens! I said that in general a zoom is more versatile. I also said that a prime lens has many characteristics that make it versatile as well. Two separate ideas. Perhaps your reading comprehension is the root problem of our disagreement?

You provided a glimmer of hope against convoluted argument. You answered my question (in bold) but feel the need to still defend against your own response. If a zoom lens is about versatility, you're basically agreeing with: Versatility being Jack of All Trades, Master of None.

Ugh, here we go again. What are you trying to say?

Prime would be ideal, when zoom might be more versatile.

You clipped my original quote which added that the most versatile solution would be to carry both!

Your choice was: Pick one.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
jeezNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow