B-b-b-b-banding!!!

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,825Gear list
Like?
Re: Settings to reduce banding; are DPReview samples immune?
In reply to creaDVty, Apr 3, 2013

creaDVty wrote:

Hi Gar Ber and Horshack,  I'm not familiar with rawdigger.  All I know is when I import the raw shots into Lightroom, and I push it 5 stops, I don't see any banding (even the intentionally underexposed one -- so I don't think it's a matter of choosing the right exposure).  Can you help me understand why that is the case, and how I can avoid banding?

Best regards,

Mic

-- hide signature --

www.BetterFamilyPhotos.com
TTL Flash Tutorial and over 400+ other articles for taking better candid and family photos.
http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/p/better-family-photos-index.html

Rawdigger is a low-level RAW file analysis tool that allows you to see, for example, histograms of the actual RAW values, by channel, free of any interpretation of the sort that LR or CNX2 will apply.

RHPetrus has reported that banding only shows up when the RAW levels are 6-8 or lower in all channels, which is very, very, far into the black.  Horshack's observation that banding may be related to unbalanced clipping squares with this.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow