Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,571Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor Size & Versatility
In reply to Draek, Apr 3, 2013

Draek wrote:

Huh? even if a 35mm SLR's output at ISO1600 is almost as good as that at ISO100, if its ISO100 is insufficient for the task at hand then its versatility is nil.

But you're referring to a VERY small subset of image creation. I'm referring to image creation as a whole in a wide variety of situations and conditions. Medium format definitely beats FF in the small subset you're referring to but loses in virtually every other situation.

I thought that was what you meant by versatility in creation of the final image, as if it is simply by flexibility in situations in which it can function (in terms of focal range and ISO setting), 35mm vs APS-C vs m43 becomes a matter of whether clean, medium-sized prints of black cats in coal mines are more valuable than candid grab shots on the street and images from events with "no professional cameras allowed" policies in place, rather than a de facto victory for the 35mm format.

Right, but candid grab shots can be created by both and FF will provide better results. The argument concerning places with 'no professional cameras' policies is valid, but it, again, a small subset of all photography. It's been years since I encountered a place where I could bring my gear along with me.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
jeezNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow