Pocket backup for my OMD EM-5

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 985Gear list
Like?
Re: The PEN series having a different battery drives me nuts...
In reply to Optical1, Apr 3, 2013

Optical1 wrote:

Ulric wrote:

How big are your pants pockets? Would you consider an E-PM2 with a 14mm pancake pocketable? It certainly has IQ enough.

While I agree that the E-PM2 has the IQ to be a great backup, the fact that I have to carry another charger and set of batteries drives me nuts.  I don't understand why the newer PEN's don't have the OMD battery, or at least why Olympus couldn't issue a charger that handles both batteries.  I'm buying into a system for Pete's sake, give me a backup that compliments my primary camera!

As for a backup camera, I do tend to side with those who suggest a more pocketable camera such as the RX100, especially for vacationing.  When I'm shooting I want my full kit, but when we're just out and about (such as out to dinner), I don't want my kit - just something in my pocket to capture good images.  The difference for me is whether I want to carry a bag with me or not.

FWIW, I currently have the S95, and I'm planning to give it to my fiance when I upgrade to the RX100.  In comparing files, the S95 and the RX100 are not similar in image quality outside of the S95 ideal range.  I'm another vote to upgrade to this camera.  I'm just waiting to see what the April announcements bring before I take the plunge.

-Kiel

Have you considered the Nikon Coolpix A?

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow