D7100 - I need help solving the "green shadows" in skin tones problem

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bailey151
Contributing MemberPosts: 837
Like?
Re: not a camera issue
In reply to mosswings, Apr 3, 2013

mosswings wrote:

If the D7100 and ALL Nikon cameras are green-spewing monsters, why in the world did those "experts" at your camera store not warn you away?  Instead, they nod their heads ruefully and tell you, almost too late for your wallet, that "all Nikons do that". You've already given evidence of other more probable reasons - monitor calibration and RAW converter differences.  Thanks to Mako for referencing Hogan's posting on the green monster. And thanks to Jonikon to pointing out that rosy pink baby cheeks exist only on babies.

I came to Nikon from Canon film and digital P&S cameras.  One of the things I continue to work with is getting the color balance right.  I've always thought that Nikon's JPG rendering is a bit on the cool side, and several have noted that my posted shots often look a bit bluish.  Part of that is their monitor, part of that is me.  But the take-away is that it takes work to get these things right. I wish you hadn't killed that NEF, I'd give it a go in my digital darkroom.  Probably would look bluish when I got through with it 

Well one can almost excuse the sales folks..........almost. They were likely sympathizing with an obviously displeased customer.............a "see, we're on your side" attitude.

I'd agree on the Nikon's preference for cool images.....and this for someone who prefers cool(ish) images overall. And that's the other half of the issue in that it comes down to personal preference - one of the reason I stay with Nikon, the images are pretty neutral which allows me to get exactly what I want from the image. Canon tend to go with making them pop - if I want that I'll do it myself thank you very much.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow